- How to Write a Great Test for AP Statistics
- How to Grade Your AP Statistics Tests
- AP Free Response Questions that you can use on the Chapter 2 Test
Questions to be sure to include
- MC question that require students to use the 68-95-99.7 rule.
- MC question that asks students to find the median and IQR from a cumulative relative frequency graph.
- MC question where a z-score is given and students have to work backwards to figure out an unknown mean or unknown standard deviation.
- MC question that asks students to interpret a z-score.
- Highest Priority: FR question that ask students to do normal distribution calculations.
- Area to the left
- Area to the right
- Find a value for a given area
- FR question that has a context that includes transformations of data (add/subtract and multiply/divide) and asks about center and variability. You could also review Chapter 1 in this question by asking them to describe the distribution of the original data.
- FR question that asks students to identify the shape of a distribution of data based on the cumulative relative frequency graph.
- A question for assessing Normality is not high priority.
Here are some tips to give your students
- Close reading and careful writing are critical to your success this year.
- Be sure to answer all parts of each question.
- Normal distribution calculations are the single most important idea in Chapter 2. Remind students that they need to draw and label a picture, show a formula and numbers, and be able to interpret the final answer.
- Know what happens to shape, center, and variability when data is transformed.
Reflections after giving test
A question that is assessing Normality can be very lengthy if they are checking using the 68-95-99.7 rule. We don’t believe this to be a high priority. We think it is a worthwhile activity in class, but not necessary for the test.