Home Forums SPA Discussion Homework

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Luke Wilcox 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Carol McKennett

Hi SPA friends,
    I have taught on level prob and stats for many years however this is my first year using SPA. I have a question about the recommended homework from the pacing guide.

I noticed that in day 4 of SPA the decision was made to only assign 5 problems per night. I would like to hear from those teachers that have assigned the recommended homework from the pacing guide. Have you been successful at getting most students to complete their homework? Did you eventually reduced the number of problems or was this a fair work load?

Thanks in advance!

#2752 Reply

Luke Wilcox
    Keymaster

Hi Carol,

We found that with less homework problems, there was more authentic buy-in and completion of the assignments. When we gave more homework problems, students tended to copy from friends or the back of the book. It also helps that student see that problems are intentionally chosen to support their learning, rather than looking like busywork (#1-29 odd). Ultimately, we want students spending real time and thinking on the homework. We would rather have 15 minutes of good thinking than 45 minutes of copying.

TheStatsMedics

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Homework
Your information: